Scion Evolution - Detroit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Scion Evolution - Detroit

SCION EVOLUTION: Detroit was started with the intent of one common goal, to share the interest, ideas and love for our Scions. Along the way we hope to build an organization that all Scion owners can participate in and be proud of.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The road warrior

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
blackcat4866

blackcat4866

The road warrior Empty
PostSubject: The road warrior   The road warrior Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 9:52 am

Where to start...

I bumped into ogerdgonz on another forum while hunting for a steel wheel for my xB. I still haven't found one, by the way.

Maybe blackcat isn't the right login for this site. How about road warrior. You see I'm not a buffer or polisher, and I wouldn't pay $100 for a wheel if my life depended on it. In fact, I washed the car for the first time in 6 months, only yesterday. I'm just a copier tech, burning up the roads every day in the xB.

I spend a lot of time on the road. By a conservative estimate I figure I've driven over a million miles since I started driving in '84. Every job I've ever had has entailed a lot of driving. I've consumed 11 of my own cars and 4 company cars in my time on the road. There's definitely more money to be made burning up your own ride.

As a result I don't get too attached to individual cars since they're not with me very long, but as durability goes, I've always preferred imports. The Subaru GL, and the various Ford Festivas (4 made by Kia), and a Ford Aspire (also Kia) all topped 200k on the odometer. The 2008 xB is well on the way to that record with 80k and only the most basic maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, ...the usual stuff).

The box is a company car, so I don't have the latitude to change anything on it, but I do know it inside & out, and may be able to contribute something useful to the group. After all, I spend 6 to 8 hours a day behind the wheel. Once I clear a few of the Kia's from the driveway that are nearing the end of their life, I will be adding an xB to the personal fleet.

So if I'm in the wrong place just say so. =^..^=
Back to top Go down
blackcat4866

blackcat4866

The road warrior Empty
PostSubject: Re: The road warrior   The road warrior Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 7:01 pm

No response... interesting.

I found a wheel on TireRack for $55. It's a 'universal' and requires a hardware kit to refit the pressure monitoring valvestem. They tell me the OEM hubcap won't fit. Well just see about that.

The spare makes a cool buzzing noise, and makes the steering a little squirrely. I won't miss that. It's supposed to arrive here Wednesday. Thanks to those that answered my messages. =^..^=
Back to top Go down
ogerdgonz

The road warrior Empty
PostSubject: Re: The road warrior   The road warrior Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Of course you are welcome here, we need to work on the chatter on the forums, kind of slow. Feel free to start any threads you want and get things going.

Also I would be a little leery of the universal since they say the hubcap does not work. Maybe go with trim rings instead.

If you need the tire and sensor installed my tire guy does it dirt cheap but I forget where you are located. I actually probably will be seing him this week or next need new tires for the wife's Expedition.

you have my email if you want the number.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scionpro.com
blackcat4866

blackcat4866

The road warrior Empty
PostSubject: Re: The road warrior   The road warrior Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Funny that you should mention the valvestem/pressure monitor... I got a call from the guy at TireRack just before leaving work yesterday. The universal wheel requires a "hardware kit" to transfer the valve to the new wheel. I haven't seen it yet, but I imagine that it's a $3 flat washer with O-ring.

The new wheel arrived this morning, I just haven't got it mounted yet. Where is your tire guy located? I'll be in Southfield in the morning.
Back to top Go down
blackcat4866

blackcat4866

The road warrior Empty
PostSubject: Re: The road warrior   The road warrior Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 8:00 am

Sorry, can't wait any longer. The tire buzz is driving me mad. I'll use him the next time. =^..^=
Back to top Go down
blackcat4866

blackcat4866

The road warrior Empty
PostSubject: Re: The road warrior   The road warrior Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 1:34 pm

I'm quite satisfied. The one I got was an ASA (Artisan Spirit Alloy Wheels). It's a universal, it's steel, and it's a hell of a lot nicer than the OEM wheel. It's got several coats of gloss black paint, and the OEM hubcaps even fit. I couldn't be happier.

=^..^=
Back to top Go down
xb2-Drew

xb2-Drew

The road warrior Empty
PostSubject: Re: The road warrior   The road warrior Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 10:34 am

Welcome 1st of all. Lets see some photos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.itsmyscion.com/xb2_drew
Sponsored content

The road warrior Empty
PostSubject: Re: The road warrior   The road warrior Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The road warrior
Page 1 of 1